If you’re not checking your FB privacy settings regularly, you should be. And I have the prime example of why: Any Facebook personal profile status update you post as Public (as opposed to posting to just Friends or another list or custom setting) has always been searchable outside of Facebook.
You can turn that feature off by following these steps:
- Click on the lock icon in the top right of your FB page.
- Click More Settings at the bottom of the menu.
- Make sure you’re looking at Privacy on the new page that shows up.
- Under Who Can Look Me Up, make sure you have ‘Do you want other search engines to link to your timeline’ turned OFF.
- When this setting is on, it is easier for other search engines to link to your timeline in search results.
- If you turn off this setting, it may take a while for search engines to stop showing the link to your timeline in their results.
While you’re in your Facebook privacy settings, why not go ahead and check everything else to make sure it’s set the way you want it? It’s just take a few minutes and it’s so important.