Sidebar links are a great way to share link love and show things that are important to you. Let’s practice with the Blogging Basics 101 button, shall we? I know you all are just dying to have our button on your sidebar. We’ll name our first monkey after you if you put our button on your sidebar. Promise.
Before we begin, you need to have the graphic you want to put on your sidebar. In this case it’s our Blogging Basics 101 button. Follow these instructions to download our button and save it on your computer (this way you don’t pull from our bandwidth and we’re both happier).
- Right click the image below.
- Choose Save As from the menu.
- Choose where you would like to save the image on your computer and click Save.
- Follow the directions below for either Typepad, Blogger, or WordPress.
- Log in to your Typepad account.
- Click on Control Panel > Files.
- Over on the right will be
“Upload a New File”. Browse for the image on your hard drive and then
- After uploading the image, click on the image filename (now in the
main list) to view it in your browser. Your browser’s address bar will
show the URL for the image, such as
http://example.typepad.com/image.jpg. Copy the code from the address bar.
- Click the “Typelists” tab.
- If you already have a Typelist for things in your sidebar find that list and click on it. If you do not have a Typelist, you can follow these instructions from Typepad.
- Click “Add a new item”.
- In the “Link title” paste the URL for the image that you copied in step 7.
- Now edit the URL so that it looks like this:
- In the “link URL” box enter this URL: http://www.bloggingbasics101.com
- Click “Save item”.
(The “http” part should be the URL you copied in step 4.)
NOTE: Do not forget the quotes at the beginning and end of the URL or it will not work.
Tah dah! It should be there now.
- Log in to your Blogger dashboard.
- Click on “Layout”.
- Click on the “Page Elements” tab.
- Click on “Add a Gadget”.
- Scroll until you find the “Picture” option and click the plus sign button.
- Type in the necessary information.
- If you don’t want your graphic to have a text title above it or below it, leave the “Title” and “Caption” fields blank.
- Type the URL of the blog or page you want the image to link to in the Link box (e.g., http://www.bloggingbasics101.com).
- For Image, choose the “From your computer option” by click on the radio button beside it. Click “Browse” and find the file you want to use.
- Click “Save”.
(Thanks to http://bringinggoodhome.wordpress.com for sending in these instructions!)
- Go to ‘write new post.’
- Upload the picture you want to use.
- Go to ‘Manage’ and then ‘Uploads.’
- Click on the picture you want. See the URL for the image location.
- Copy the URL (highlight, control ‘C’)
- Go to ‘Presentation,’ and then ‘Sidebar Widgets.’
- Add a text widget.
- Enter your code like this:
- Close the text widget and save.
<a href=”www.insert-internet-destination-here.com“><img src=”http://www.paste-image-url-here.com“></a>