It’s especially important to back up your template before you export your content
or make changes to your design because once you make a change and save
it, there’s no going back (unless you know exactly what you did and can
- Log in to your account and click Layout.
- On the Template tab, click Edit HTML.
- Highlight and copy all of the HTML in the box.
- Open your word processing program (e.g., Microsoft Word or Pages) and open a new file or document.
- Paste the HTML into your new document.
- Save. Remember to make a note of where you saved this information.
- Log in to your TypePad account and click on Design.
- On the Design tab, click Saved Designs.
- Click the box next to the design you want to back up (there should be a check in the box after you click it).
- Click the button that says Duplicate.
You now have a copy of your design. I would suggest working on the duplicate instead of the one marked Current Design. This will allow you to make changes and preview them before going live.
WordPress.org provides a tutorial for backing up your database.
This article was originally published on January 31, 2008.