I’ve received a lot of emails from my blog visitors about choosing the right hosting package from Hostgator, so I thought that it would a good idea to show a step by step guide to register with them to create a blog.
By simply following these few steps you should be only a few minutes away from starting your blogging journey.
STEP 1 – Go to Hostgator.com and click on the “Sign Up Now” button. If you sign up today, you’ll be able to get an exclusive 60% discount. This offer applies to all bloggingbasics101.com visitors.
STEP 2 – Choose a domain name for your website. In my example, I used www.YourNewAwesomeWebsite.com as a domain name. You can choose from a wide variety of options and domain name types (such as: .net, .org, .com or .co.uk).
STEP 3 – Enter your personal details for completing the registration process. Add you name, address, e-mail address and choose a payment type – iPage will accept Credit cards or PayPal.
Remember to check that the coupon BB101 is in there!
STEP 4 – Choose a suitable hosting package. You can either sign up for 1 year, 2 years or even 3 years. If you are just starting out and learning the ropes, then it might make more sense to choose 1 or 2 years.
Domain privacy is optional. If you want to keep your website fully anonymous, tick that option. If you don’t want to stay anonymous, un-tick that option and you will save yourself another $9.99 per year.
Website essentials are also optional. It’s wise to sign up for automated backups and extra site protection, but WordPress is quite secure. If the site you are building is extremely important to you, then it might make sense to pick these options. On the other hand, if you untick those essentials, you are able to sign up for less than $40. This is probably the cheapest hosting package you will ever find, yet it’s very reliable and secure.
Once you have managed to sign up with iPage, you are now able to start making/building websites on your domain name. Just log in to your control panel and choose WordPress as your website builder.
WordPress one-click-installation tutorial
Once you have managed to grab your domain name and web hosting from iPage:
1) Log into Hostgator and you’ll be redirected to the control panel. From
2) In the Software section, click on the QuickInstall icon:
5) Using the drop down menu chose the domain that WordPress should be installed to as well as any subdirectory you would like the site to load from if desired.
- For Blog Title, enter the name of the website. This is what will appear in the header as the name of your site.
- For Admin Username, enter your preferred username.
- Your first name.
- Your last name.
- For Admin Email, enter an email address where you want the admin password emailed to. Make sure this is a working email address.
- Check the box next to the Terms of Service Agreement.
- Click the orange Install button when you’re ready to proceed.
Once the installation is complete, and you have your credentials, you can begin working on your WordPress site! Check your email for the WordPress username and password as well as a link to your WordPress login page.
And you’re done, congratulations!!
You should have a fully working WordPress website on your own domain that you can start editing right away. To change a theme/design of your site, just login to your WordPress dashboard and choose “Appearance -> Themes” from the left sidebar.