A meme is a pre-set group of questions, similar, in many ways, to a chain letter. You can start your own, or “grab” one off someone else’s blog. A meme might look something like this (though typically it will be longer):
- What was your first job out of high school?
- What was your first pet?
- Describe your first date.
- What was your first car?
You would answer these questions, about yourself, on your blog. You may simply leave it at that, or you may “tag” someone. That simply means you are inviting another blogger to post their answers to these questions on their blog.
A few more “meme pointers”:
- Some bloggers enjoy responding to “tags”; others don’t. Do not take it personally if someone you tag doesn’t play along.
- It’s a good idea to notify someone that you’ve tagged them, with a link to your meme on your blog.
- It’s your blog, and you can do what you want, of course–but if you’re wanting to gain a readership, you may find that people tire of reading meme after meme after meme on your blog. You might want to consider limiting your participation to occasional memes.
Note that a meme and a carnival are not the same thing.
I love your site and wanted to thank you for the info on meme’s. I have a question, how do you “tag” someone? Is it something that you do when you go to mr. linky after you create your meme? How do you “tag” someone else with a meme you were tagged on?